Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Gestational Diabetes Class

I had attended the Gestational Diabetes class today. I went to the facility 10 minutes before the time schedule. I walked in to check in and paid $20 for my copay. The front desk gave me a sheet to fill out, and completed it for few minutes. I saw maybe 10-15 other patient and our teacher called us to get in to the conference room.

There were 2 person conducted the class. One who taught all about the specific of why and what happening to a pregnant woman after 24 weeks and the other one who specialized on what food and what not to eat or avoid. It took 2 1/2 hour which I was expecting more than that. But anyway, there are many information about the disease and I would say it enlighten me.

Having both parents who has diabetes makes me realize now, that it's important for me to take care of my body. The teacher mentioned that if a mother's pancreas has been overworked when she was pregnant to produce more insulin, it could affect the baby's life in the future. If the mother has too much sugar in the blood stream, it will spread all over the body and it does could affect the baby's weight and somehow can affect their own pancreas. In some point, if the baby's pancreas has been overworked while still in the womb, in later life at age 42 could have diabetes. I wonder if my mom already has diabetes when she was pregnant of me. I knew that she was diagnosed with diabetes in her late 40's. It just puzzled me whether she already has it and maybe I have been affected with her condition.

That being said, I really need to make a drastic change to my eating lifestyle. I don't want to get diabetes. I want my pancreas to be healthy and normal. I don't want to have diabetes for the rest of my life. If this what I'm having is just happen because I'm pregnant I will be so happy to do everything I can to stop from having Type 2 diabetes after  pregnant.

It's a lot to take when I have so many sweet cravings for the past year. Difficult not to crave all the good stuff. I wonder when I will be able to taste all that goodness again LOL.. But anyway, for now I have to take care of myself first so I won't affect my baby. His been through a lot already and I don't want to be another cause of his problems. We don't see any big problem yet but I hope this journey will have a happy ending with a natural vaginal delivery at full term.

Towards the end of the class, the teacher distributed our measuring kit to test for the next week. Tried and tested right there and then and my blood sugar level was good. I am sure I am fine since I have been watching my carbs in take for the past week. I will going to meet a follow up one on one next week to see how my ratings are. The teacher said, this week will be a trial and error on what food that will work on our body. Crossing my fingers that I could dial it in right soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment